DennisLeeWilson
2014-September-21 09:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Click here for my public PGP key   Google Translate   Wikipedia Comparison of Language Translator programs   I use Firefox browser & add-on called "Google Translator for Firefox"
“I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” ~Thomas Jefferson
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge has its limitations, while imagination has no limits.” ~Albert Einstein
I love Arizona, I loathe its intrusive governments, especially the City of Phoenix.

Brainstorming!! Give it a try!   Subject Index to my Published Articles
Creative Commons vs Copyright Notice  Disclaimer

Donations? Hell, NO!*

Because robo-spammers outnumber real people by 20 to 1, you MUST register to post AND your membership MUST be approved.
SEND EMAIL with YOUR comments or a posting to Admin (at) DennisLeeWilson.com to prove that you are NOT an automaton.
Sure. It is a bother. But you only have to do it once to become a member. And you don't have to wade thru the spam.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [2006-08-20] “…to Institute new Government, laying its foundation…”  (Read 7827 times)
DennisLeeWilson
Creator of this site
Administrator
Forum/Blog Owner

Existence exists & Man's mind can know it.

WWW Email
« on: 2008-November-16 05:42:02 PM »

[2006-08-20] “…to Institute new Government, laying its foundation…”
http://tinyurl.com/Institute-New-Government
http://dennisleewilson.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=8.msg28#msg28

• "They tell us, Sir, that we are weak, unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be next week? Will it be next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed and a guard stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Sir, we are not weak if we make proper use of those means which [the Covenant] has placed in our power."

[Paraphrased from Patrick Henry]

This copy of the published article has an extension of note [3] which includes a link to the article “DON'T RUN FOR THE HILLS TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM”. DLW

http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2006/tle381-20060820-04.html

THE LIBERTARIAN ENTERPRISE
Number 381, August 20, 2006

“…to institute new Government, laying its foundation…”

Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence

by Dennis Lee Wilson

DennisLeeWilson@Yahoo.com

Credit The Libertarian Enterprise

From Thomas Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence, dated 1776:

• "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

I submit that the government of the United States of America operated mostly within the limits of the Constitution from 1788 until the Constitution was openly ignored and blatantly subverted by President Abraham Lincoln from 1861 to 1865, and that since that time, instead of being restored and restrained to its original limits, the government has instead expanded its powers far beyond the limits once imposed by the Constitution and has indeed become destructive of the ends enumerated in the Declaration of Independence and for which the Constitution was allegedly created to protect.

That is a premise of this essay and since there is ample evidence of this published elsewhere, proof will not be offered in this essay. Such being the case, the focus and purpose of this essay is to exercise, in Jefferson’s words, “the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government”.

I submit to the reader, L. Neil Smith’s Covenant of Unanimous Consent [1] (written in 1985 and hereinafter referred to as The Covenant) as the proposed Form of the “new Government”, The Covenant being, in essence, a form of Self-Government. Its foundation rests on the moral statement contained in the Non Aggression Principle [2], which is expressed in the five Precepts of the Covenant. The organization of its powers is described in the Supersedure clause of The Covenant. The powers of The Covenant are indeed derived from the consent of “the governed”, they being the self-governing, individual Signatories themselves.

How the Covenant of Unanimous Consent
fulfills the promise of
Thomas Jefferson’s Declaration of Independence:

The Declaration:

• "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The preamble of the Covenant of Unanimous Consent nicely compliments the above:

• “WE, THE UNDERSIGNED Witnesses to the Lesson of History -- that no Form of political Governance may be relied upon to secure the individual Rights of Life, Liberty, or Property”

The Declaration: “That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men,”

The Covenant: “now therefore establish and provide certain fundamental Precepts measuring our Conduct toward one another, and toward others:”

The Declaration: “deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,”

The powers of The Covenant —a document of self-government--are indeed derived from the consent of “the governed”, they being the ACTUAL, SELF-GOVERNED, INDIVIDUAL SIGNATORIES of The Covenant. This also satisfies the objections noted by Lysander Spooner in 1870. Instead of being a document (such as the U.S. Constitution) that describes how the government should act, and a document that YOU DID NOT sign, The Covenant is a document that describes how YOU will act and is a document that YOU voluntarily sign, if and only if you agree to govern yourself according to The Covenant’s terms and conditions, which are The Covenant’s Precepts.

The Declaration: “That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles . . .”

The Foundation of The Covenant rests on the moral principle in the Non-Aggression Principle [2] and is expressed in the five Precepts of The Covenant.

The Declaration: “and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Each of the five Precepts and the Supersedure clause provide the powers and the form that the Signatories believe to be “most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness”.

Furthermore, there is a point not addressed in Jefferson’s Declaration, but raised in 1964 by Ayn Rand regarding “dissenters”, or those who do NOT sign The Covenant, but who may trade with or even live among Signatories. Such people are very simply and very clearly warned—explicitly in each of the five Precepts--what to expect if they choose to violate the rights of Signatories. This is especially true when Territory [3] is clearly marked as being governed by the Supersedure clause of The Covenant. (Some individual Signatories may even choose to display indicators that they are Signatories to The Covenant, thereby providing—among other things--further warning to dissenters).

These simple and clear warnings, explicit in each of the five Precepts, are also the Means of Enforcement against Signatories who would violate The Covenant, a feature that is completely missing from the U.S. Constitution.

Galt’s Oath and the libertarian Non Aggression Principle  (NAP/ZAP) are moral/ethical principles. The Covenant of Unanimous Consent  is a political statement of interpersonal relationships based on those moral principles. Unlike the U.S. Constitution--which was created by a committee of Lawyers to replace the (much better) Articles of Confederation, while both Jefferson and Adams were in Europe--the Covenant actually FULFILLS the promise of individual freedom in Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence. The Covenant is simple, rational, personal, easy to understand and even short enough to memorize.

The Covenant also satisfies the objections noted by Lysander Spooner. Instead of being a document that describes how the government shall act, and a document YOU did not sign, the Covenant is a document that describes how YOU will act and is a document that YOU voluntarily sign, if you agree. Those who do not sign (the “dissenters” mentioned by Ayn Rand above) are not punished, they are simply and clearly warned what to expect if they violate the rights of Signatories.

The Covenant of Unanimous Consent is indeed the political foundation—as suggested by Thomas Jefferson--and the “legal framework needed to establish and maintain a free society open to all, including dissenters” as was suggested by Ayn Rand.

Dennis Lee Wilson

DennisLeeWilson@Yahoo.com

Objectivist and Jeffersonian

Sovereign Individual & Signatory: Covenant of Unanimous Consent

[1] L. Neil Smith's Covenant of Unanimous Consent can be found at http://www.lneilsmith.org/new-cov.html  A copy is also available at http://tinyurl.com/Covenant-and-Galts-Oath along with backups of supporting articles written by L. Neil Smith and misc. discussions.

[2] The Non Aggression Principle (also known as the Zero Aggression Principle):

"A libertarian is a person who believes that no one has the right, under any circumstances, to initiate force against another human being, or to advocate or delegate its initiation. Those who act consistently with this principle are libertarians, whether they realize it or not. Those who fail to act consistently with it are not libertarians, regardless of what they may claim."  - L. Neil Smith  [emphasis of the moral principle added]

Further discussion of this moral principle can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/Index-to-Covenant-Articles

[3] While there obviously could be great benefits to living in a Supersedure zone--such as a town or county--there is also the risk and hazard of gathering a number of Signatories into what could become a target area for violent Statist dissenters. As in all things, individuals need to assess for themselves the risks of such alternatives. For some excellent advise in this area, see DON'T RUN FOR THE HILLS TO FIGHT FOR FREEDOM an excerpt from Invisible Resistance to Tyranny: How to Lead a Secret Life of Insurgency in an Increasingly Unfree World, by Jefferson Mack.

The excerpt from his book can be found at my site, along with a related comment from The Claire Files, as well as at Vin Suprynowicz site, http://www.thelibertarian.net/Subscribers/Archives/Newsletters/03-04-Run-For-The-Hills.htm   (Privacy Alert, April 2003).

Creative Commons

Attribution Share Alike

Copied two paragraphs from "A personal journey..." ( http://tinyurl.com/2dm6kgj ) and inserted before last paragraph.  2010-10-29
« Last Edit: 2013-January-12 03:11:04 PM by DennisLeeWilson » Logged

Objectivist & Sovereign Individual
Creator of Atlas Shrugged Celebration Day & Artemis Zuna Trading Post
Signatory: Covenant of Unanimous Consent
DennisLeeWilson
Creator of this site
Administrator
Forum/Blog Owner

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2008-November-16 11:42:52 PM »

I thought this fit very nicely with my article “…to Institute new Government, laying its foundation…”  

I have included the introduction to the article here and urge the reader to follow the link to the entire article. Dennis

http://www.strike-the-root.com/62/horn/horn1.html

Creating a Free America
by Kevin Van Horn
Exclusive to STR
November 3, 2006

I will live as a free man among free Americans.  We will pay no taxes.  We will submit to no rulers.  We will exercise our rights openly and without fear.    

I've reached a point in my life where I can no longer bear to live on my knees, meekly submitting to whatever outrages and humiliations America 's rulers choose to inflict on us.  And so I have made a commitment to put an end to the bondage under which I and my fellow Americans suffer.  

I will live as a free man, in a free America .  

I'm not talking about reforming the Government; I mean to bypass it entirely, breaking free of any dependence on it and eliminating its ability to coerce us. The free market and civil society can supply all legitimate services we have heretofore obtained from Government.  

continued at http://www.strike-the-root.com/62/horn/horn1.html  .

Excerpted from article copyrighted by Strike the Root at link above.
See Copyright Usage notice at https://tinyurl.com/Copyright-Usage
« Last Edit: 2013-October-25 11:40:37 AM by DennisLeeWilson » Logged

DennisLeeWilson
Creator of this site
Administrator
Forum/Blog Owner

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: 2008-November-16 11:48:00 PM »

I recall reading this George Smith article long ago before I gave much thought to the nature of government and anarchism. A friend recently sent it to me. If I had reread it before I wrote my articles “…to institute new Government, laying its foundation…” and “A personal journey from Objectivist morality to political "anarchy" by way of L. Neil Smith's Covenant of Unanimous Consent!”, I would have quoted many things in George Smith's article. (Items in red are my emphasis).

Dennis Lee Wilson

Added 2008-Dec-28: Call Me an Abolitionist, Please

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~thomas/po/rational-anarchism.html

IN DEFENSE OF RATIONAL ANARCHISM
Copyright George H. Smith (November 1997)

Anarchism is a theory of the good society, in which justice and social order are maintained without the State (or government). Many anarchists in the libertarian movement (including myself) were heavily influenced by the epistemological and moral theories of Ayn Rand. According to these anarchists, Rand's principles, if consistently applied, lead necessarily to a repudiation of government on moral grounds.

I call this rational anarchism, because it is grounded in the belief that we are fully capable, through reason, of discerning the principles of justice; and that we are capable, through rational persuasion and voluntary agreement, of establishing whatever institutions are necessary for the preservation and enforcement of justice. It is precisely because no government can be established by means of reason and mutual consent that all Objectivists should reject that institution as unjust in both theory and practice.

continued at http://dennisleewilson.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=34.0
or the link above.
« Last Edit: 2010-July-13 12:18:58 PM by DennisLeeWilson » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: