DennisLeeWilson
2014-July-31 06:40:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Click here for my public PGP key   Google Translate   Wikipedia Comparison of Language Translator programs   I use Firefox browser & add-on called "Google Translator for Firefox"
“I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” ~Thomas Jefferson
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge has its limitations, while imagination has no limits.” ~Albert Einstein
I love Arizona, I loathe its intrusive governments, especially the City of Phoenix.

Brainstorming!! Give it a try!   Subject Index to my Published Articles
Creative Commons vs Copyright Notice  Disclaimer

Donations? Hell, NO!*

Because robo-spammers outnumber real people by 20 to 1, you MUST register to post AND your membership MUST be approved.
SEND EMAIL with YOUR comments or a posting to Admin (at) DennisLeeWilson.com to prove that you are NOT an automaton.
Sure. It is a bother. But you only have to do it once to become a member. And you don't have to wade thru the spam.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [2005-08-07] An Alternate Form of "Social Contract"  (Read 3635 times)
DennisLeeWilson
Creator of this site
Administrator
Forum/Blog Owner

Existence exists & Man's mind can know it.

WWW Email
« on: 2008-November-18 04:47:48 PM »

[2005-08-07] An Alternate Form of "Social Contract"
http://dennisleewilson.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=9.msg35#msg35      http://tinyurl.com/7xesn46

An Alternate Form of "Social Contract"

http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2005/tle331-20050807-01.html#letter3

Letter from Dennis Wilson

In response to "What The Hell To Do Now?", by Alan R. Weiss http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2005/tle329-20050724-08.html

Kitty Antonik Wakfer wrote in http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2005/tle330-20050731-01.html#letter4

• "Paul [Wakfer] (with my editing assistance) is still at work refining the Natural Social Contract—the minimal framework for a self-ordered society operating under the principles of his Social Meta-Needs theory. <SNIP>. Once you have read and deeply considered the new concepts presented, your public comments and questions would be most welcome..."</SNIP>

I took a look at the "Natural Social Contract" at http://selfsip.org/solutions/socialcontract.html and with all due respect for the good intentions of its authors, the Contract is way too long and has way too much legalese detail. As such, it violates the principle of simplicity that is needed for understanding, and results in obfuscation of the underlying principles of individual freedom.  

It also suffers from the same deficiency as the US Constitution, something that L. Neil Smith has written about, namely that it has no provision for enforcement, i.e. punishment of those who violate the Constitution (or Contract). Indeed, the Natural Social Contract has mind numbing "definitions" (35 in all) about "Trial" and "Restitution" and "Peonage" (?!?). But the nearest thing to enforcement that I could discern was a (very long) section titled "B. General Stipulations Regarding Responsibilities and Dispute Settlement". I won't attempt to summarize it because it was too confusing and has too much detail to hold in my mind. It should make a wonderful career opportunity for any lawyers who are displaced from our current system by this Contract.

Please do not take this as a personal attack. I have committed the same errors myself. I have the same desire as you to improve the manner in which people conduct interpersonal relationships. But I think your efforts are as doomed as the effort I expended on a similar project, which I describe below.

It is always easy enough to criticize someone else's effort, but that leaves the critic (me) in the position of proposing an alternate form of "social contract" or code of interpersonal relationship conduct among rational beings. Personally, I always thought that the "Live & Let Live" principle in John Galt's oath in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was sufficient for that purpose:

• "I SWEAR, BY MY LIFE AND MY LOVE OF IT, THAT I WILL NEVER LIVE FOR THE SAKE OF ANOTHER MAN, NOR ASK ANOTHER MAN TO LIVE FOR MINE".

Realizing that interpersonal relationships are not always limited to other Objectivists, I took a clue from the final pages of Atlas Shrugged:

• The rectangle of light in the acres of a farm was the window of the library of Judge Narragansett. He sat at a table, and the light of his lamp fell on the copy of an ancient document. He had marked and crossed out the contradictions in its statements that had once been the cause of its destruction. He was now adding a new clause to its pages: "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of production and trade..."

and I created the "Judge Narragansett New Constitution Project", an attempt to create a workable, generic "Constitution".
(see http://atlasshruggedcelebrationday.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=2.0 )

After working at this for nearly a year, two things happened to make me abandon the project. I read Hologram of Liberty by Kenneth Royce (aka Boston T Party), which showed me the futility of starting with the old Constitution, and I discovered a document that—without contradicting it—actually expanded on the "Live & Let Live" principle in Galt's Oath, but without all the legalese and other problems of the Constitution. (It also exemplifies the Keep It Simple principle). It is L. Neil Smith's Covenant of Unanimous Consent.

Unlike the U.S. Constitution, which was created by a committee of Lawyers, L. Neil Smith's "Covenant of Unanimous Consent" actually fulfills the promise of individual freedom in Thomas Jefferson's "Declaration of Independence". It has further virtue in that it is simple, rational, personal, easy to understand and is even short enough to memorize.

I view the "Covenant of Unanimous Consent" as a means to fulfill the promise of the Declaration of Independence, because it is an agreement by and amongst Sovereign Individuals, signed by those individuals rather than some dead "Founding Lawyers", and it does not resort to mind numbing legalese or an authoritarian governmental structure.

I seek to associate with other Sovereign Individuals who agree to and are Signatories to the Covenant of Unanimous Consent. By so doing, I can establish—with my own effort—as much liberty for myself as is possible in my lifetime, given that I find myself in the midst of an increasingly totalitarian society—not unlike a Jew in Hitler's Germany, but with no "America" to which to flee.

The people in control of the government have no legitimate authority, but a revised, improved Constitution will not correct that situation. Moving to a place like Wyoming may be a means to reduce the number of authoritarian types in my immediate vicinity and to increase the number of liberty minded people in my immediate vicinity. Seeking and finding other Signatories has already enriched my life and made my life more free. I hope it will do the same for you.

Dennis Wilson
dennisleewilson@yahoo.com
Objectivist and Jeffersonian
Signatory: Covenant of Unanimous Consent

Creative Commons

Attribution Share Alike
« Last Edit: 2012-March-11 05:50:46 PM by DennisLeeWilson » Logged

Objectivist & Sovereign Individual
Creator of Atlas Shrugged Celebration Day & Artemis Zuna Trading Post
DennisLeeWilson
Creator of this site
Administrator
Forum/Blog Owner

Existence exists & Man's mind can know it.

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: 2009-March-15 11:33:51 AM »

I see that my article was ignored by Mrs. Wakfer and that the "Natural Social Contract" at http://selfsip.org/solutions/socialcontract.html mentioned and linked in my article, was updated.

From that site:

• Update 11/12/06: Finally, the new Natural Social Contract and its set of 37 separate annotation files is now in online with most references linked to it and them. However, the old Natural Social Contract (renamed to Interim Social Contract) remains as both a historical document and because some older dialogues, that are still valuable to leave online, refer to it.
[emphasis added]
« Last Edit: 2009-March-15 11:38:18 AM by DennisLeeWilson » Logged

Objectivist & Sovereign Individual
Creator of Atlas Shrugged Celebration Day & Artemis Zuna Trading Post
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: